Between 1939 and 1940, and from 1945 and 1946, Touko Laaksonen studied a 2 year correspondence course in advertising at the School of Sales and Advertising (today, The Institute of Marketing). He was able to graduate on 22nd January 1946 after the school re-opened its doors after the war. On 8th January 1945, he was admitted to the Sibelius Academy to study piano as his main discipline and composing as a minor, which he discontinued in 1949.
Until 1958 he worked as a restaurant and theatre rehearsals musician. After that he worked as an advertising artist and art director at the advertising company Oy Liikemainonta Ab (which later changed its name to McCann Helsinki). From 1973 he concentrated on his career as a fine artist.